PORTLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE Class Description
Title: Lead Custodian
Exempt Status: Non-exempt
Under Facilities Management Services (FMS), ensures a safe and clean environment through assignment of work to custodial staff, leading workers, inspection of premises and performance of custodial tasks as needed. Provides supplies and equipment for completion of work performed, and monitors key facilities and equipment such as pools and boilers. Trains and monitors performance of custodial personnel. Work results impact the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Incumbent’s services impact others who make a broader contribution to the final service provided the customer. Responsible for responding to work situations with minimum guidance or direction.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all of the duties of a Custodian.
- Distributes work assignments, keys and materials to crew members at beginning of shift.
- Instructs and monitors tasks of custodial crew, including all appropriate documentation.
- Checks and maintains boilers.
- Responds to requests for service in moving furniture and equipment or maintenance of facilities.
- Ensures cleanliness and maintenance of surfaces including carpets, floors, walls and shelving as well as exterior walkways and windows.
- Keeps custodial closets clean and well-stocked.
- Fills in for custodial staff as needed.
- Works with contract agencies according to college procedure to ensure adequate staffing.
- Reports unsafe, deteriorating or irregular conditions to supervisor.
- Participates in staff training, development and performance appraisal.
- Provides security for buildings and equipment through key security procedures, responding to alarms and reporting incidents promptly.
- Performs specialized tasks during adverse weather conditions and college closures. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed both indoors and outside, and involves dirt and use of cleaning materials and equipment. Physical strength and sustained physical effort is required for some of the responsibilities; i.e. operating commercial vacuum and other cleaning equipment, shoveling snow, etc. Job requires moderate strength and agility and typically requires balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and repetitive motions. Lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 50 pounds occurs with varied frequency.
In the event of unscheduled closures due to weather events and/or other circumstances, is considered “essential personnel” for reopening the college.
High school diploma or equivalent; three years of experience in commercial custodial work; one year leading others.
Must have a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record. Must be able to use a respirator.