- Title: Groundskeeper I
- Class: Classified
- Exempt Status: Non-exempt
- Grade: 14
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the direction of grounds maintenance management, works independently to perform a range of landscape maintenance duties, working safely with gas and diesel powered equipment, and attending to plants, trees and lawns on assigned campus. Performs daily routine maintenance and minor repairs to equipment, fencing and grounds features as needed. Incumbent is a key contributor within the department with work results impacting the immediate work section, and campus staff and students. Important job contacts are with peers in immediate work group and supervisor, with occasional contact with individuals outside the department. Job requires ordinary conversational skills and courtesy to exchange information and assistance which is routine in nature. Incumbents must be able to safely operate motor vehicles pulling loaded trailers.
Principal Accountabilities (includes some or all of the following)
- Performs a range of landscape maintenance duties including leaf removal, pruning shrubs and trees, fertilizing, lawn care and watering.
- Removes litter and empties trash cans.
- Cleans roads, parking lots and walks to ensure safety of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Constructs carpentry features and masonry structures for special landscape projects.
- Provides full care for designated indoor plants.
- Removes ice and snow from walks, roads and lots, including the application of ice melter and road sand.
- Establishes new plants and plantings both in landscape and through greenhouse culture.
- Installs, repairs and uses manual and automatic watering systems to ensure adequate moisture for plantings.
- Performs vector control including trapping and disposing of small animals and insects
- Works in a safe manner leaving work areas safe during and after work projects.
- Cleans spills as needed, including body fluids.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed primarily outdoors, on varying terrain (some potentially hazardous), in all types of extreme weather conditions and involves use of maintenance related substances. Position involves recurring early and late hours with exposure to hazards and some exposure to ventilation problems and noise extremes.
Position requires shoveling of heavy materials and the use of equipment such as mowers, chain saws, pruners, snow and leaf blowers, tractors and edgers. Strength and agility, and extended standing and heavy lifting are required.
High school diploma or equivalent; one year of experience in basic landscape maintenance. Must be able to use a respirator when required.
Must have valid drivers license to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record.
- Rev: 12/03
- Replaces: 03-29-92