Financial Aid Systems Technician
Title: Financial Aid Systems Technician
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the direction of the Financial Aid Systems Manager performs a variety of technical support activities for the financial aid systems including the financial aid application and correction record load process; transmission of application, Pell Grant origination/disbursement and transfer monitoring data to and from the federal processor. Supports the ongoing testing of programs, processes and data in Banner and other financial aid systems. Functions as the lead trainer of financial aid imaging system and assists in the disbursement of financial aid funds. Guides and advises students and prospective students concerning financial aid programs, forms, regulations and procedures.
Interpersonal contacts include college staff, federal agency representatives, students, faculty, and the public. Incumbent performs technical financial aid systems support on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
- Performs the federal financial aid application data load process, including downloading electronic application and correction records from the federal processor, uploading records to the Banner financial aid system, batch posting data requirements to applicant records, resolving data discrepancies, coordinating letter and postcard generation and maintaining the database.
- Transmits application and correction data to and from the federal processor. Transmits Pell Grant origination and disbursement records to and from the federal COD. Transmits transfer monitoring data to federal NSLDS system. Assists with troubleshooting and resolving transmission and/or data problems.
- Runs daily update reports after electronic data has been received and uploaded into the Banner system. Reviews and analyzes the reports to determine type and level of action required to update records and/or resolve discrepancies. Reviews data on the federal NSLDS system to determined default and overpayment information. Follows up with students or staff to resolve problems.
- Assists with the Banner annual set up process and on-going testing of Banner upgrades. Supports the development of basic programming statements, population selections, and rules maintenance in the Banner system.
- Provides assistance in the maintenance and enhancement of the financial aid Banner system, Image Now imaging system, financial aid web pages and other financial aid software systems.
- Functions as lead staff trainer for financial aid imaging system. Assists with Banner staff training.
- Performs data entry to convert award notifications.
- Assists in the disbursement of federal student aid; Performs revisions to financial aid awards due to changes in enrollment status, requests for changes in award and other special projects. Guides and advises students and prospective students concerning financial aid programs. Explains complex policies and procedures and answers questions.
- Assists applicants in completing the various forms required for financial aid. Resolves problems with document tracking, application status, and check disbursement.
- Scans and links documents into financial aid imaging system.
- Participates in professional development activities and attends training workshops.
- Performs other related duties as assigns.
Work is performed in an office environment. Extensive use of a computer and long periods of sitting is required. Incumbent may be required to work extended hours on an intermittent basis. Some evening and Saturday work is necessary on a rotational basis. Job demands can be difficult due to heavy work flow, deadlines, competing priorities and changing regulations.
Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding.
High school diploma or equivalent; Associates degree in computer science, information management, business or related area. Two years of related experience may substitute for the degree requirement.
Two years of responsible financial aid experience with an emphasis on computer and systems support. Demonstrated experience working with complex procedures and regulations. Good analytical and problem solving skills required. Must be detailed oriented. Ability to multi-task, maintain accurate records and convey complex technical information. Requires keyboarding and math skills.