Title: Database Coordinator
Exempt Status: Non-exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the direction of departmental management, builds, modifies and maintains single and multi-user database applications. Provides accurate, current and timely information to support department/program requirements. Responsible for generating reports, organizing and summarizing data received from a variety of sources.
Positions in this classification perform a wide range of work requiring intermediate level technical and analytical skills and a functional working knowledge of computer applications and the specialty area supported. The primary focus of positions in this classification is database development and management. This is not an administrative office support position with peripheral responsibility for data entry, database maintenance or report generation.
- Assumes primary responsibility for ensuring optimal use of database functionality to support departmental/program goals. Analyzes information needs of multiple users to assist in determining appropriate database application structures and report specifications. Constructs database applications including procedures, modules, functions, automated events, and customized forms and reports.
- Develops and maintains complex database applications for department/program focusing on specific areas or projects; designs, develops, and provides queries and reports from database to meet specified needs.
- Develops written documentation, internal operating procedures and end user instructions. Trains and notifies staff of changes to data entry and operational policies and procedures and provides ongoing technical assistance.
- Provides database quality control; investigates and resolves data and reporting inconsistencies; develops and implements work flow, data entry, collection and reporting procedures.
- Works collaboratively with staff in the planning process and to discuss departmental/program goals; ensures the database provides the required information and is used to its fullest capacity.
- May serve as liaison with outside agencies and subcontractors on data analysis and reporting issues and needs; determines needs and designs reports or other methods to meet needs; provides technical assistance to outside agencies/contractors on automated data systems.
- May serve as the contact for software vendor regarding database maintenance, product problems and services; collaborates with management regarding annual service contract negotiations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the functions above.
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Positions assigned to the Foundation may also be responsible for:
- Utilizing specialized Foundation database. Coordinates, creates and generates campaign reports for the program and staff, college and Foundation Board.
- Coordinating Foundation mailings and extraction of information from the database.
- Serving as special event support staff.
Positions assigned to the Steps to Success Program may also be responsible for:
- Programming single and multi-user database applications.
- Establishing remote connections between sites for multi-user databases and creating, installing and providing support for those databases.
Positions assigned to FMS may also be responsible for:
- Constructing and maintaining multiple database applications that track workload, customer satisfaction, utility consumption, preventative maintenance, project management, architecture, space planning and physical plant expenditures.
- Providing computer training and assistance to Facilities Management Staff.
Positions assigned to the Distance Education Program may also be responsible for:
- Coordinates data and communications necessary to process requests for new courses between Distance Education and Academic departments. Creates individual faculty Letters of Agreement for course developments including timelines, stipend amounts, course review and training dates, and specific development terms.
- Tracks faculty progress towards course development goals and notifies management if progress is not in accordance with Letter of Agreement, and resolves problems with administrators and faculty members to ensure completion of course development and reviews.
- Coordinates and maintains accurate records of financial expenditures and contractual obligations and billing for distance learning classes. Processes faculty payments and reconciles licensing and special orders.
Positions assigned to Student Systems Support may also be responsible for:
- Providing technical support for the college-wide course evaluation software system.
- Performing evaluation system set-up including creating new terms, scheduling evaluation release and reporting dates, downloading and uploading course and registration files.
- Monitoring system usage, troubleshooting and resolving system problems reported by students and faculty; making corrections based on appropriate solutions.
- Providing training for faculty on navigating the system.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of college level course work or training in computer applications, data processing or business technology. Relevant experience may substitute for the college level course work or training. Two years experience which includes working with complex databases, troubleshooting problems, analyzing information and data, designing queries and reports and creating operational policies and procedures is required.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is typically performed in an office environment with interruptions and deadlines and frequent exposure to video display terminals. Must stay abreast of technology changes related to job. Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding function.