Computer Labs Coordinator
- Title: Computer Labs Coordinator
- Category: Classified
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Grade: 18
Coordinates activities in various computer labs to ensure that students have access to and assistance in the use of computer technology. Assumes full responsibility for the operation, safety and security of the computer labs during morning, evening and weekend hours. Hires, trains and supervises student help, work-study and casual employees that support the computer labs. Performs basic troubleshooting and repairs and maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Opens and closes the computer labs and provides for the general cleanliness, safety and security of the laboratory area. Reports maintenance problems as they occur. Establishes and enforces procedures for the use of the laboratory area and the use of equipment, supplies, materials, software, hardware and peripherals. Addresses problems with students who do not follow established procedures or exhibit disruptive behavior.
- Oversees the work of student help, work-study and casual employees to include hiring, training, scheduling, monitoring performance and dismissal as appropriate. Manages the budget and documents and maintains employee records for payroll purposes.
- Maintains and inventories computers, software, printers, equipment, materials, and supplies. Disposes of surplus equipment and software in accordance with established procedures. Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment and maintains contact with appropriate vendors to coordinates repairs. Researches equipment needs and orders materials and supplies as necessary.
- Works with students individually and in groups to provide direct assistance in their access to computer technology; orients students to the laboratory and helps students who are learning to use specific software and hardware. Develops and maintains instructions for use of specific software. Troubleshoots and diagnoses problems with computer equipment.
- Provides students, staff, instructors and the public with information relating to the computer laboratory both over the phone and in person.
- Maintains records of activities undertaken in support of the computer lab. Develops and prepares reports from statistical database.
- Prepares flyers and organizes open houses to promote and market the computer labs. Prepares and conducts classroom presentations.
- Maintains web pages for computer labs.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of post-secondary education in a computer related discipline. Relevant experience may substitute for the post-secondary education on a year-for year basis. Two years of experience supporting computer laboratory activities or administrative support experience that encompasses the training and directing of staff and coordination of facility coverage in a customer service environment.
Computer equipment and related software; effective coordination and supervisory techniques.
Train and lead others; Communicate in a group/classroom setting; Provide assistance and problem solve a variety of basic computer related issues; enforce policies and procedures and maintain a positive customer service environment; Recruit, work with and supervise a culturally, racially and gender diverse work group.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is typically performed in an office/laboratory environment and exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Changes in the performance environment require occasional upgrading of skills. May be required to interact with angry or disruptive students.
Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding and ten-key functions. Some physical skill required to lift and work on equipment that may be located in tight and poorly lighted spaces, such as under desks and workstations or other confined areas. Lifting and moving of computer components and peripherals weighing between 40 and 90 pounds.
Reviewed: 4/07, 12/18
- New: 8/05-Grade 17