Communications Specialist Description
Title: Communications Specialist
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Promotes the college’s programs and offerings to the general public through advertising and written materials including news releases, articles and other publications. Interactions occur within a diverse set of individuals and groups in representing a variety of roles and authority levels. Responsible for producing journey-level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
- Publishes the college’s internal news, including collecting information, determining content, writing articles, and taking photos.
- Writes copy for Schedule of Classes, college magazine, newsletters, news releases, College website, special recruitment pieces, marketing brochures and other publications.
- Provides assistance to the public affairs staff in writing, editing and placing news releases; preparing media packets; developing story ideas and writing feature articles for the College and Foundation.
- Assists with the college’s print advertising program including writing copy in consultation with department staff, and assisting with placement, production and follow-up.
- Takes quality photos for college magazine and newsletters and other college publications.
- Assists in special events planning and execution, Foundation promotions, community relations and public relations activities.
- Attends department meetings and helps set goals and evaluation techniques to assess effectiveness of work of department.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities listed above and other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in a standard office environment; however, traveling between the campuses and to other locations is frequent. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Work is often unpredictable and often necessitates operating under tight deadlines.
Learned physical skill required to perform keyboarding functions. Physical requirements associated with photographing subjects, driving to campuses, lifting boxes and other office work.
Associate’s degree or equivalent college-level course work in English, journalism or related area. Experience performing the duties described above may substitute for the degree or college-level course work on a year-for-year basis.
Three years of experience performing professional level writing preferably for a newspaper or other publication. Demonstrated competency in writing news releases using AP style, feature writing, editing. Technical and creative writing skills required. Familiarity with advertising, printing and publication layout procedures needed. Knowledge and experience in electronic publishing and web page development and maintenance required. Solid interpersonal relations skills necessary. Must have the ability to work under pressure, deal with diverse issues and people, and juggle more than one project at a time. Word processing required.