Central Distribution Services Lead
- Title: Central Distribution Services Lead
- Category: Classified
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- Current Grade: 17
Assists the Central Distribution Services Manager in coordinating the daily departmental operations of shipping/receiving, damages and returns, mail services, property administration, fleet management and purchase orders. Functions as college representative for on-line supply ordering and maintains central stores inventory of supplies.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Central Distribution Services manager in the day-to-day operations of the department including training staff and student workers; scheduling and monitoring the work and providing input to the supervisor on employee performance.
- Functions as the college representative for on-line supply ordering; works with contracted vendors and college departments to ensure orders are purchased, received and billed in a timely and efficient manner. Prepares blanket orders and purchase orders on-line using the college mainframe computer system.
- Coordinates and processes freight claims, damages, shortages and returns; works on behalf of the college to resolve related issues.
- Maintains central stores inventory items at the appropriate stock levels for distribution to college district.
- Performs office support duties such as answering phones, photocopying, preparing correspondence, scheduling meetings, taking minutes, filing and data entry.
- Manages financial data for college fleet and on-line supply ordering. Sends monthly charges from supplies, postage, fleet and other related areas to accounting. Researches and resolves billing discrepancies.
- Works with college Publications Department to maintain adequate stock levels and timely filling of publications to the district.
- Serves as backup to other Central Distribution Services areas. Operates departmental equipment as needed (e.g. forklift, pallet jack etc.).
- Drives college vehicle to make pickups and deliveries throughout the district.
- Helps to ensure a clean and safe work environment.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent; post-secondary education or training in business technology, general accounting, recordkeeping or related area. Additional relevant experience may substitute for the post-secondary education. Two years of related work experience in warehousing, inventory ordering and control, and material handling. Must possess a valid driver’s license and obtain forklift certification within 90 days of employment.
Safe and efficient warehouse practices, procedures and techniques; general warehouse operations and storeroom methods in the areas of shipping and receiving, delivery/stock rotation and inventory control procedures; postal, freight and carrier regulations; recordkeeping; vocabulary, math and grammar skills appropriate to the position; use and operation of a personal computer and associated standard office software; 10-key, data entry, filing, basic customer service standards and principles.
Develop and maintain effective working relationships; provide effective and responsive service to department customers; lead and train others and oversee their work; create and maintain accurate records; communicate effectively and problem solve a variety of issues.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed in a warehouse setting with some outdoor work in all types of weather. Occasional exposure to potentially hazardous and toxic materials.
Moderate to heavy lifting using safe techniques or appropriate mechanical devices is required. Job requires the ability to use a hand truck and pallet jack to move heavy objects and to drive a fork truck. Learned physical skill is required to operate a computer and other office equipment.
- Revised: 03/06
- Grade Change: Gr. 16, 09/2006
- Replaces: Central Stores Asst., 05/98