Title: Bookstore Specialist
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Under the direction of bookstore management, provides assistance in the operation of a full service campus bookstore. Duties and responsibilities include helping customers in the purchase or rental of textbooks and/or supplies, selecting and receiving merchandise focusing on rental textbooks, performing data entry and completing paper work to assist the bookstore accountant in prompt and accurate payment of invoices, problem-solving for customers and faculty, and assists in training student and hourly cashiers.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs customer service activities such as retrieval and activation of student financial aid information, assisting customers in the purchase/rental of books; purchase of computer software and hardware, calculators and/or supplies, and returns or refunds merchandise as necessary. May be responsible to fulfill web orders.
- Performs problem-solving for customers and faculty including assisting in locating texts or supplies not on-site, and assisting in determining availability of back-ordered or late-ordered books.
- Compiles paperwork and enters pertinent information into point-of-sale (POS) system regarding invoices; and of shipping, receiving and transfer of goods, specifically rental texts.
- Communicates on a regular basis with supply vendors regarding the ordering of rental texts, and transfers the books to other campuses as necessary. May inquire with textbook vendors regarding invoices and shipments.
- Tracks textbook/purchase orders including verifying order quantities, checking enrollment and sales history and reordering books.
- Assists with oversight and training of student and hourly cashiers. Participates in loss prevention activities to include research and investigation of problematic issues and fraud. May view online camera feeds and work cooperatively with campus Public Safety to determine if loss or fraud has occurred.
- May perform activities in preparation for closing the store including counting cash register tills and preparing deposits, printing reports reflecting daily sales, investigating and reconciling discrepancies and placing cash drawer into safe and securing doors.
- Keeps store clean and merchandise displayed in an appealing manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed in a retail environment. Extended work hours are required at the beginning of each term to accommodate students buying and renting texts, and purchasing supplies in preparation for the start of the term. Learned physical skill required to perform keyboarding functions. Extended standing is required and moderate to heavy lifting is occasionally required.
High school diploma or equivalent. One year of experience in a retail operation that includes cashiering, working with the public and tracking inventory. Familiarity with point-of-sale systems required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations;
- Departmental processes and policies.
- Organizing and keeping records;
- Operating a computer and various software packages;
- Operating a variety of office equipment;
- Explaining terms, concepts and technology in plain language;
- Leading, training and coordinating the work of others in a team environment;
- Applying mathematical calculations;
- Using a 10-key calculator.
- Effectively communicate both in writing and verbally;
- Interact positively with staff and the public in order to enhance effectiveness and to promote quality service;
- Manage and keep organized, detail information about the program and its users;
- Learn quickly and apply knowledge to new situations;
- Remain calm under high pressure/difficult situations;
- Work independently and prioritize multiple tasks and adapt to needed changes.