Class: Classified | Exempt status: Non-Exempt | Grade: 13
Under the direction of bookstore management, the Bookstore Associate provides assistance in the operation of a full-service campus bookstore. Accountabilities include helping customers in the purchase of books and/or supplies, receiving merchandise, performing data entry and completing paperwork to assist the bookstore accountant in prompt and accurate payment of invoices, problem-solving for customers and faculty, and assists in training student and hourly cashiers. Excellent communication and customer service skills are required to interact with a variety of diverse students, faculty, staff and vendors for various reasons including information dissemination, providing general assistance and problem-solving.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs customer service activities such as retrieval and activation of student financial aid information, assisting customers in the purchase of books, computer software and hardware, calculators and/or supplies, and returns or refunds merchandise as necessary. May be responsible to fulfill web orders.
- Performs problem-solving for customers and faculty including assisting in locating texts or supplies not on-site and assisting in determining availability of back-ordered or late-ordered books.
- Compiles paper work and enters pertinent information into point-of-sale (POS) system regarding invoices; and of shipping, receiving and transfer of goods.
- Receives, unloads, moves and processes merchandise, packages and freight.
- Prepares customer orders and vendor returns for shipping including packaging, addressing and associated paperwork.
- Communicates on a regular basis with supply vendors regarding the ordering of candies and sundries, and monitors and rotates inventory as necessary. May inquire with textbook publishers regarding invoices and shipments.
- Assists with oversight and training of student and hourly cashiers.
- Performs activities in preparation for closing the store including counting cash register tills and preparing deposits, printing reports reflecting daily sales, investigating and reconciling discrepancies and placing cash drawer into safe and securing doors.
- Participates in loss prevention activities to include research and investigation of problematic issues and fraud. May view online camera feeds and work cooperatively with campus Public Safety to determine if loss or fraud has occurred.
- Prepares and develops flyers, pamphlets, signs and hard copy ads using national ad campaign material using appropriate software.
- Helps keep store clean and merchandise displayed in an appealing manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed in a retail environment. Extended work hours are required at the beginning of each term to accommodate students buying texts and supplies in preparation for the start of the term. Learned physical skill required to perform keyboarding functions. Extended standing is required and moderate to heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds) is frequently required. Ability to use a hand truck and pallet jack.
High school diploma or equivalent. Six months of experience in a retail operation which includes cashiering and working with the public. Familiarity with point-of-sale systems required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations;
- Departmental processes and policies.
- Organizing and keeping records;
- Operating a variety of office equipment including a computer and various software packages;
- Explaining terms, concepts and technology in plain language;
- Applying mathematical calculations;
- Data entry and basic keyboarding;
- Using a 10-key calculator.
- Work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Effectively communicate both in writing and verbally;
- Excelling customer service skills;
- Learn quickly and apply knowledge to new situations;
- Remain calm under high pressure/difficult situations;
- Resolve complaints/issues and defuse angry situations;
- Work independently and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Reviewed: 12/18
- New: 7/11