Bookstore Operations Assistant
- Title: Bookstore Operations Assistant
- Class: Classified
- Exempt Status: Non-exempt
- Grade: 15
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the general direction of bookstore management, ensures the smooth operation of a campus bookstore through scheduling, training and/or guiding staff, keeping accurate records for planning and accountability purposes and providing efficient and knowledgeable customer service. Job requires patience in communication and well-developed verbal skills to exchange information with a variety of individuals which include college faculty, staff, students and vendors. Incumbent is the key person to whom complaints and policy issues are initially referred; therefore, they must be able to use effective communication skills to defuse anger and establish and/or restore harmony. Responds to work situations with minimum guidance or direction and is responsible for training and guiding others.
- Provides efficient, knowledgeable customer service in a retail setting to students, faculty and staff including use of cash register point of sale system, and issuing returns or refunds of merchandise as necessary.
- Hires, schedules, trains part-time and student help to cashier and/or assists with other tasks to ensure smooth operations following established policies.
- Acts as front line person for communicating and enforcing bookstore policy with students, faculty and staff. Works with individuals to resolve any disputes/problems; if needed, refers issue(s) to supervisor.
- Participates in loss prevention activities to include research and investigation of problematic issues and/or fraud. May view online camera feeds and works cooperatively with campus Public Safety to determine if loss or fraud has occurred.
- May assist with fulfillment of web orders.
- Creates displays and promotions and maintains a clean and safe working environment for the public and staff.
- Provides term and daily parking permits for staff and students. Responsible for cash received from these transactions as well as proper recordkeeping.
- Maintains all campus bookstore voice mail recordings and bookstore website detailing store hours. Makes any updates/changes on a regular basis.
- Maintains all beverage, sundry and candy stock. Facilitates transfers to other campuses for stock needed.
- Sells TriMet passes and tickets.
- Answers phones, takes and distributes messages.
- Responsible for retrieval and activation of student financial aid information from college mainframe and/or other computer networks.
- Performs other office-related duties including processing incoming and outgoing mail, maintaining detailed files/records.
- Oversees and instructs part-time and student help to conduct inventory for auditors once a year.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of retail sales experience with cashiering and recordkeeping responsibilities.
Ten-key skill, and strong communication skills for interacting with the students, faculty, and staff, and for directing temporary, casual and/or student workers. Ability to defuse anger and establish and/or restore harmony. Working knowledge of personal computers and familiarity with Point-of-Sale systems required.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed in an office and retail environment. Extended work hours may be required at the beginning of each term to accommodate students buying texts and supplies in preparation for the start of the term.
Extended standing and moderate to heavy lifting is occasionally required. Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding and/or ten-key functions.
- Rev: 1/11
- Replaces: 5/01