Accounting Technician I
Title: Accounting Technician I
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the direction of Financial Services or other departmental management, performs assigned general accounting duties that may include Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable transactions, general ledger entry, processing requisitions for staff, and financial processing of paperwork for assigned functional area. Incumbents code transactions, resolve discrepancies and balance accounts. Work results impact the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Job requires well-developed verbal skills to present and exchange information which may be technical and complex. Interpersonal contacts extend to others outside the department, and may include contacts outside the organization. Incumbents are responsible for performing journey-level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
Intent: This is the first level of a technical accounting support series where employees perform routine work that involves processing simple transactions.
Principal Accountabilities (includes some or all of the following)
- Reviews financial documents and reports such as invoices, vouchers, receipts, requisitions, and Banner accounts for accuracy, completeness and compliance with college policy and other applicable rules and regulations.
- Computes, prepares and processes billings or disbursements.
- Prepares journal entries; verifies the accuracy of journal entries and account coding to ensure proper relationships throughout the accounting structure. Enters and posts journal entries into computerized ledger system. Maintains history of records according to state and college archiving policies.
- Reconciles statements and resolves discrepancies; compiles and reviews statements and prepares reports on funding and transactions.
- Communicates with vendors and college staff to clarify information and resolve discrepancies.
- Provides technical information and assistance to other accounting personnel, department managers and other staff regarding college accounting requirements and the use of automated systems. Performs transaction analysis and system error resolution.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in a standard office environment. Exposure to video display terminals may occur in some positions on a regular basis.
Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding and ten-key functions.
High school diploma or equivalent. Coursework in bookkeeping or accounting. Experience performing the duties described above may substitute for coursework. One year of work experience in an office environment processing, recording or compiling accounting, bookkeeping or cashiering transactions.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal and external customers, including ability to defuse anger and resolve complaints/issues. Organizational skills and ability to work independently. Able to consistently follow financial and administrative procedures and to explain these procedures to those unfamiliar with them. Provides excellent customer service to the department’s customers.
Strong business mathematics skills. Proficient in the use of computer and a variety of related software. Accurate keyboarding and 10-key skills.