Transportation Specialist I
- Title: Transportation Specialist I
- Class: Classified
- Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
- Grade: 18
Under the direction of a manager, performs routine maintenance and repair of PCC parking lots and roadways, and maintains the campus parking garage. Incumbent provides assistance to Transportation Specialist II and/or Lead Transportation Specialist with minor maintenance on buses and other duties as assigned. Acts as back up driver.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains PCC parking lots, ensuring stalls, curbs, crosswalks, directional arrows, and other traffic signs are clearly marked; performs necessary painting.
- Installs, repairs, and replaces PCC roadway and parking signage, bicycle racks, and parking permit dispensers. Installs thermoplastic marking as needed.
- Shares lead duties for parking lot maintenance and repair crews with Transportation Specialist II.
- Assists with minor maintenance and performs cleaning of department buses, including pressure washing of vehicles.
- Keeps shop equipment in safe, operating condition.
- Acts as back up to Transit Service Operators and van driver or provides auto transportation support, as needed.
- Maintains parking garage, ensuring lights are replaced, garage is clean, and correct signage is in place.
- Maintains applicable Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Drives buses and other vehicles to and from repair facilities.
- May deliver equipment for maintenance services.
- May be called on to remove biohazardous material.
- Supports parking office or enforcement staff as directed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to various weather conditions. May be exposed to potentially hazardous conditions, noise and temperature extremes. Position involves frequent bending, standing, kneeling, climbing ladders, reaching below and above shoulders, and lifting objects weighing up to 50 lbs. while performing job duties. Wrist, hand and finger dexterity is required to operate various equipment and materials. Work schedule may include weekend hours. Operates heavy and/or light motorized equipment and uses power and hand tools.
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of experience in basic facilities, construction or repair experience in a commercial or industrial setting. Must possess a valid Commercial Driver License (CDL) with Passenger endorsement for operation of motor vehicles within the State of Oregon or Washington and have an acceptable driving record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations;
- Departmental processes and policies;
- Common hand tools;
- Basic workplace health and safety procedures..
- Using a computer to perform basic operations;
- Using a variety of equipment to complete task assignments;
- Organizing and keeping records.
- Interact positively with staff and the public in order to enhance effectiveness and to promote quality service;
- Comprehend technical language;
- Work independently and prioritize multiple tasks and adapt to needed changes;
- Remain calm under high pressure/difficult situations;
- Learn quickly and apply knowledge to new situations.
- Revised: 6/2018, 5/2023
- New: 04/2017