Student Computing Support Assistant
- Title: Student Computing Support Assistant
- Category: Classified
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Grade: 14
Ensures students have access to and assistance in the use of computer/information technology. Provides technical support to students seeking help with software, hardware, and/or online tools. Troubleshoots and diagnoses basic problems related to computer/information technology.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical support to students in-person, via email, Chat and/or phone regarding various computer related issues and problems.
- Helps identify and troubleshoot PCC account and access related issues, including password changes, identity verification and support for alternate access.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses basic problems with computer equipment. Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment, as necessary. Refers problems to lead worker or management if unable to resolve.
- Opens and/or closes computer lab and provides for the general cleanliness, safety and security of the lab area. Reports maintenance problems to the Service Request Center as they occur.
- Assists students with various software products and/or internet apps (e.g. Google). Directs students to appropriate College resources for additional support as needed.
- Enforces procedures for the use of lab area and the use of equipment, supplies, materials, software, hardware and peripherals.
- Fields general student services related questions and/or directs students to appropriate College resources such as registration, testing or advising.
- Performs duties in compliance with College policy and applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Creates technical and procedural documentation for use by student workers and/or casual employees.
- Performs office support duties which may include maintaining records of activities, scanning documents, performing data entry, distributing and processing mail, updating materials, and ordering publications and various office supplies as needed.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must also possess one year of training in computer technology either through direct experience working with the technology or by completing courses designed to provide troubleshooting skills and use of MS Office applications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A working knowledge of computers and related software, and/or tablets and mobile devices; and common internet protocols such as email, chat, secure file transfer (SFTP/FTP), and World Wide Web/HTTP;
- Ability to troubleshoot browser and plug-in based problems on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux-based operating systems;
- Ability to modify, edit and create common document formats (e.g. HTML, CSS, word processing, spreadsheet);
- Ability to convey technical information to a diverse population of students, staff and public;
- Ability to learn, understand and apply applicable College policy and federal, state and local rules/regulations;
- Ability to provide assistance and problem solve a variety of basic computer related issues; enforce policies and procedures and maintain a positive customer service environment.
- Ability to keep accurate records and maintain confidentiality.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is generally performed in an office and/or laboratory environment with frequent interruptions and change in the workflow/volume depending on time in the term. Changes in the performance environment require occasional upgrading of skills.
Occasional lifting and/or carrying of lightweight materials or computer components and peripherals weighing up to 90 pounds may be required. Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding and ten-key functions.
- Revised: 5/13
- Replaces: Computer Lab Assistant (3/06)