Student Accounts Specialist, Senior
Title: Student Accounts Specialist, Senior
Exempt Status: Non-exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Performs a variety of activities to ensure the efficient and effective operation of a student account office and/or key student account function. Serves students, staff, parents and community members by working on a broad array of complex student and financial service issues. Proactively engages students in financial conversations and planning to help ensure student financial success. Refers students to appropriate college and external resources. Provides services to a diverse population including non-native English speakers, international students, high school students and other community members whose needs and interests may vary. Consistently delivers service in a professional, efficient and friendly manner.
Principal Accountabilities (includes some or all of the following)
- Provides information on a variety of topics related to student services to students, staff, parents, and community members, in-person and via various communication methods, including phone, chat and email.
- Serves in a lead capacity providing operational support to ensure smooth running of the office at an assigned campus and/or one or more complex area of responsibility. Trains, guides, delegates and monitors the work of office staff; ensures adequate services levels for area of responsibility and arranges coverage as needed; monitors cashiering sessions to ensure receipts are balanced and deposited. Provides input to manager on employee performance. Mentors new staff members and provides ongoing guidance.
- As part of the cohort default prevention plan, initiates contact with students to provide information and guidance on topics related to financial aid, repayment and requirements; tracks and reports results. May contact faculty to verify attendance. Utilizes reports, referrals and other methods to identify student who may benefit from early intervention and outreach.
- Develops financial plans and identifies potential sources of funding for students with emerging financial issues. Analyzes student financial needs and prepares financial wellness reports for students. Provides support and information on financial options to students.
- Engages in financial outreach and intervention; provides support and information on financial options to students experiencing family, personal or economic crisis. Facilitates set up of custom payment plans for past due accounts.
- Facilitates financial education workshops to large and small groups.
- Works closely with students and college-wide staff to resolve or redirect student account disputes and appeals. Handles a variety of difficult customer situations using tact, diplomacy and patience to defuse irate/angry customers.
- Coordinates with other student account and student/enrollment services staff to ensure consistent communication and high level service delivery. Provides information, training and support to participating members of Student Services.
- Researches and resolves complex problems, discrepancies and/or disputes related to core area of responsibility. Gathers information, conducts research and determines appropriate resolution. Consults with management as needed.
- Regularly upgrades and refreshes knowledge and skills through required attendance at training sessions, student services functions and staff meetings.
- Provides departmental support as a Banner “power user” for registration and admissions process. Creates various Banner reports.
- Monitors the telephone helpline for Student Account Services. Ensures that staff is logged into the telephone queue. Works with Telephone Services to research and resolve problems. Handles difficult customer calls and functions as the second tier of support when an upset customer wants to speak with staff in a leadership role. Determines when to escalate a situation to management. Creates and implements telephone training for new and current staff and ensures updates are implemented.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office setting that may be, at times, noisy and intense with multiple interruptions. Subjected to heat/cold fluctuations. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis.
Learned physical skill required to perform keyboarding and/or ten-key functions. Minimal physical exertion required. Most job time spent sitting with occasional walking.
High school diploma or equivalent. One year of college level course work with an emphasis on business technology, accounting or relevant office occupations curriculum. One year of relevant experience may substitute for the college level course work. Two years’ experience in general office support and one year experience in a student service environment with considerable public contact is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Specific knowledge of college, local, state and federal regulations regarding billing, payment, refunding and confidentiality; general knowledge regarding rules and regulations related to student services.
- Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form with a diverse customer base in a welcoming and friendly manner.
- Ability to balance cashiering sessions and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to defuse anger and resolve complaints/issues.
- Ability to utilize various resources, i.e. handbooks, internet, regulations, etc., to research questions and find appropriate answers; escalate as needed.
- Skilled at explaining terms, concepts and technology in plain language.
- Skilled in use of Student Information systems, word processing programs, spreadsheets, email and other computing programs.
- Skilled in using a computer and data entry
- Ability to present programmatic information one-on-one or to small and large groups.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with external departments.
- Ability to train and present programmatic information one-on-one or to small groups.
- Skilled in organizing, problem solving and setting priorities for self and others.
- Ability to produce standard reports.