Print Center Technician
- Title: Print Center Technician
- Category: Classified
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Grade: 14
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the direction of a Manager, the Print Center Technician operates up to three (3) high-speed, networked, color and black digital publishing printers and/or similar equipment to produce printed matter from electronic media, hard copy originals or network transferred files to support PCC faculty and staff. Technicians may also use wide format architectural equipment for scanning or printing and use bindery equipment.
- Performs file check and programs files to maximize productivity and quality. Releases orders to print and ship following customer dictated timelines.
- Modifies document layouts (graphic design) impositions and proofs to achieve the desired finished result. Transfers files to appropriate equipment for best productivity.
- Administrator of department print files on centralized file server.
- Performs digital scanning using production scanner, image manipulation and correction. Converts files to usable mediums and provides files via network or external drive.
- Ensures accurate accounting and records data for billing purposes.
- Performs bindery tasks such as coil/GBC binding, cutting, padding, etc.
- Troubleshoots equipment problems and resolves them or escalates as necessary. Knowledge of equipment critical for communication with technician by phone or in-person.
- Remains current on technology, methodology and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Frequent exposure to high levels of noise. Occasional exposure to hazardous chemicals. Frequent interruptions, high volume of work with tight deadlines. Wrist, hand and finger dexterity is required to operate various equipment and materials. Regularly lifts/moves up to 50 pounds.
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of experience using print shop digital production printers with file and print servers and graphic design experience are required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Machinery used in the production printing and duplicating process;
- Computer operation and server familiarity;
- Graphic design experience;
- Department processes and procedures;
- Copyright laws.
- Attention to detail;
- Customer service;
- Specialized computer programs.
- Interact positively with staff and customers in order to enhance effectiveness and to promote quality service;
- Remain calm under high pressure/difficult situations;
- Follow protocols and escalation procedures;
- Work with multiple priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment;
- Analyze and resolve problems with minimal supervision;
- Understand and convey technical information related to printing;
- Manage time effectively.
- New: 08/2014