Facilities Operations Maintenance Specialist II
- Title: Facilities Operations Maintenance Specialist II
- Class: Classified
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Grade: 18
Performs semi-skilled maintenance, repair, adjustment and minor construction work in the trades to ensure that facilities are properly maintained and meet College standards. Guides less-skilled staff in completing shared work assignments. Assists more-skilled staff in the completion of larger and more complex assignments. Duties may fall into a variety of trades, including carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, energy management, fire and life safety and keys/security systems.
This is the second level of a three level family. It is distinguished by the responsibility for intermediate-level trades work, requiring competence in independently performing a variety of semi-skilled tasks. In addition, positions at this level provide guidance to less-skilled staff on shared work assignments. Within the job family there may be some overlap between the levels of work. Therefore, an incumbent at this level may be occasionally called upon to perform tasks associated with a higher or lower level, such as when working independently, learning a new skill, or assisting another staff member.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities (May perform some or all of the duties listed below).
- Performs standard intermediate-level preventative maintenance on building systems, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and control systems and related components; tests system competency and component devices and evaluates performance. Participates in developing preventative maintenance plans.
- Repairs and maintains facilities structures; performs repairs and replacements of standard building systems and components, such as plumbing, door hardware, fire and life and safety protection equipment/systems, sprinkler systems. Constructs and maintains indoor/outdoor facilities, fans, lights and related equipment.
- Maintains induction and air handling units; cleans and inspects equipment, completes filter changes, lubricates, maintains and services mechanical and refrigeration and/or cooling systems.
- Performs maintenance of pool water sanitation and related pool environment equipment.
- Performs and assists with repair and installation of waste, vent, and domestic water distribution systems. May assist with welding or fabricating plates, brackets or needed devices.
- Performs routine servicing and preventative maintenance on small motorized equipment engines and performs preventative maintenance on automotive vehicles.
- Performs electronic recordkeeping related to preventative maintenance and repair so that Facilities Management Services division makes the most efficient and effective use of computerized maintenance management and service request systems; tracks and closes assigned work orders.
- Accesses and makes basic adjustments to computerized control systems, such as for lighting or energy management systems.
- Guides less-skilled staff during shared work assignments, including providing instruction on tools, work processes and techniques.
- Maintains a working knowledge of materials, systems and code requirements related to maintenance of college facilities.
- Responds to college emergencies and closures including adverse weather to be certain that all facilities are protected and remain operational. Assists with tasks required in preparing to open campuses after a closure including snow and ice removal, systems and equipment checks and start-up operations as assigned.
- Knows and understands all safety procedures of the college. Trains less-skilled staff on safety procedures related to shared work tasks. Assists in structural safety inspections.
- Operates a college vehicle and is responsible for its safe operation and reporting any observed maintenance needs.
- Maintains appropriate records and reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to various weather conditions. May be exposed to potentially hazardous conditions, noise and temperature extremes. Position involves frequent bending, standing, kneeling, climbing ladders, reaching below and above shoulders, and lifting objects weighing up to 50 lbs. while performing job duties. Wrist, hand and finger dexterity is required to operate various equipment and materials
High school diploma or equivalent. Three years of experience in facilities maintenance or repair. Two years of education or training, or an Associate’s Degree, in the facilities maintenance trades may substitute for two years of the required work experience. Must have a valid driver’s license for operation of a motor vehicle in Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record. Some positions may require a Commercial Driver’s License, Class A, for operation of commercial motor vehicles in the State of Oregon within twelve months of employment. Forklift driver certification required within six months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Power and hand tools commonly used in facilities maintenance; record keeping techniques, including use of automated recordkeeping systems; workplace health and safety procedures; use of personal computers such as to use automated recordkeeping tools, automated system controls, and email; basic customer service practices.
Computer use to maintain logs and inventories; respond to service requests and emails; manage work orders in the computerized maintenance management system; access automated control systems.
Use a variety of tools and power equipment; maintain records and reports in computerized and written formats; effectively use email and automated calendaring systems; make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately; comply with health and safety regulations; work independently with minimal supervision; plan daily work tasks efficiently; understand and follow oral and written directions; work from blue prints, shop drawings and sketches; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Replaces: Facilities Maintenance Technician (3/06), Gr. 18