Volunteer Literacy Tutor Program Specialist
TITLE: Volunteer Literacy Tutor Program Coordinator
CLASS: Academic Professional
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
The Volunteer Literacy Tutor Program Coordinator coordinates and provides program oversight for a specific geographical area within the district-wide Volunteer Literacy Tutor Program. Incumbents in this classification are responsible for prioritizing services, conducting assessments, recruiting and ensuring the training of volunteer tutors, and providing overall supervision of volunteer tutors. Incumbents work collaboratively with program staff and the community and initiate, negotiate, and maintain site agreements.
This classification is distinguished from the Sr. Volunteer Literacy Tutor Program Coordinator in that incumbents in the Coordinator classification do not have district-wide administrative responsibilities for the program.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
1. Coordinate volunteer tutors and students for a specific geographical area. Ensure volunteer tutors are appropriately trained on current curriculum. Evaluate student/tutor similarities and make appropriate team matches. Troubleshoot placement problems. Conduct special one-on-one or small group training for tutors to learn new skills. Supervise the delivery of instruction.
2. May coordinate classes taught by volunteer tutors including working with other departments in setting up the classes, processing paper work, and traveling to various sites.
3. Collaborate with the ABS division and other college programs in conducting the student intake process. Conduct testing and evaluate and interpret results. Provide advising on available adult basic education classes. Provide advising and referrals for students with special needs.
4. Ensure students are correctly registered. Work cooperatively with other college staff and departments to ensure a smooth process.
5. Track and submit data to Sr. Coordinator regarding student progress, attendance, materials and methods, number of volunteer tutors and students, and hours of instruction.
6. Develop and coordinate community outreach. Meet with executives and officials in negotiating site usage, new program initiatives and discussing new community resources. Maintain contracts. Market program throughout the community.
7. Develop and maintain site resource center for volunteer tutor access. Order materials and supplies through Volunteer Literacy Tutor office.
8. Maintain a database of students and tutors.
9. Attend program wide meetings and collaborate with other Volunteer Literacy Tutor staff on general program issues.
10. Attend trainings to develop and maintain skills.
11. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Occasional extended periods of time spent talking on the telephone or sitting and working at a computer. Requires the ability to work evening and weekend hours. Travel to class sites may be occasionally required.
Physical exertion is not a normal activity of this position.
Bachelor’s degree in Education, Adult Education, ESL, or related field. Experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis. Demonstrated experience coordinating programs utilizing large numbers of volunteers and students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Considerable knowledge of current instructional methods and materials.
Considerable knowledge of volunteer management principles and practices.
Knowledge of applicable computer software.
Skill in supervising large numbers of volunteer staff and students.
Skill in testing, assessment, and interpreting test results.
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects or to change priorities quickly.
Ability to work with an ethnically and culturally diverse population.
Ability to cooperatively identify and resolve problems or issues with students and tutors.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.