Title: Marketing Coordinator
Class: Academic Professional
EXEMPT Level: Exempt
In conjunction with leadership, the Marketing Coordinator acts as the first point of contact for marketing assignments. Assesses, designs, implements and evaluates overall marketing strategies for internal client projects, including creation of media and other marketing collateral.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors and leads the work of academic professional, classified and/or casual staff, student workers, and/or volunteers. Participates in performance evaluations and trains staff as appropriate.
- Manages the day-to-day workload and assignment of marketing projects. Acts as first point of contact for incoming jobs and assigns appropriate work to the appropriate Marketing Specialist or Coordinator.
- Works with clients to ascertain project scope, budge, timelines, etc. Determines needed resources and prioritizes project in relation to other marketing projects. Negotiates scope of work and commitments from the client department and Marketing department. Facilitates communication regarding project status with appropriate stakeholders.
- With marketing leadership, determines project viability and Marketing department role.
- Coordinates creative and strategic direction for projects and events.
- Acts as project lead to maintain timelines, budgets and work product. Follows up with Marketing Specialists and Designers to ensure deliverables are met.
- Communicates with client departments keeping them apprised of project status.
- Coordinates purchasing of advertising for the College district, including ad buys for partnering departments such as Foundation, CLIMB and Community Education.
- Coordinates and conducts marketing for assigned programs to target clients. Develops marketing plans to promote services and oversee the lifecycle of print advertising from design and pre-press through printing and distribution process to include direct mail.
- Develops a strategy for assessing price and development costs associated with the production of marketing materials and advertising used by the program.
- Develops relationships with local media and community and business groups to publicize the assigned programs.
- May monitor, track, implement, and adjust a marketing budget for assigned program.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is generally performed in an office environment with interruptions and irregularities in work schedule. Frequent reaching, and sitting may be required. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of everyday objects and material is needed to perform the job. Limited travel between campuses may be required. Occasional work on weekends and after normal business hours may be required.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Business or related field. Experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Four (4) years of marketing related experience required.
Strong background in print media marketing techniques to community based programs. Experience in developing a marketing campaign aimed at a large metropolitan area and/or small communities. Proven experience in project management, graphic design work and needs assessment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Marketing techniques;
- Effective project management methods and techniques;
- Current business trends and terminology;
- Microsoft application software and graphic software such as PageMaker, Quark, PhotoShop and website editing tools.
- Developing and analyzing measurement tools to evaluate the effectiveness of the marketing program;
- Graphic design and layout of printed material;
- Leading marketing projects and teams;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Operating a computer and various software packages.
- Communicate effectively with individuals at all levels, within and outside the college;
- Operate a variety of office equipment;
- Effectively communicate in oral and written form.