Learning Skills Specialist
Title: Learning Skills Specialist
Class: Academic Professional
Exempt Status: Exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
The Learning Skills Specialist provides tutorial assistance and study skills development to targeted students enrolled in the professional/technical programs at Portland Community College. Develop or summarize and simplify curriculum materials to facilitate student learning.
Principal Accountabilities (includes some or all of the following)
- Provide tutorial assistance related to professional and technical curriculum. Work with individuals or small groups to facilitate student learning.
- Attend classes to ensure strong understanding of subjects being taught. Work with instructors in identifying specific areas for tutoring assistance.
- Prepare professional/technical tutorial curriculum to supplement classroom curriculum. Work with instructors in revising or simplifying curriculum.
- Assist students enrolled in professional/technical programs with math requirements needed for graduation.
- Monitor student progress. Maintain records.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office setting with regular work hours.
Physical exertion is not a normal activity for this position.
Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field. Experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis.
Demonstrated experience working with students with language barriers, disabled students, and students with low basic skills and/or low self-esteem required. Experience in an educational environment working with students in small groups or individually required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of different learning styles.
- Considerable knowledge of ethnic and cultural issues.
- Considerable knowledge of curriculum content for professional/technical programs.
- Knowledge of available college resources.
- Knowledge of assessment, testing, and the interpretation and application of test results.
- Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
- Ability to work with at-risk and culturally diverse populations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.