Admissions and Recruitment Coordinator
Title: Admissions and Recruitment Coordinator
Class: Academic Professional
Exempt Status: Exempt
The Admissions and Recruitment Coordinator is responsible for the overall marketing and recruitment efforts for an assigned campus or program. Services may include new student recruitment, admissions/advising, community and business outreach, public information, program specific promotional events, and developing and implementing a marketing and recruitment plan. Incumbents in this classification will also work as a team with other campus Admissions and Recruitment Coordinators in developing and implementing college-wide marketing and recruitment strategies and will be assigned specific college-wide responsibilities such as Ethnic and Minority Recruitment, Website Planning, Publications, or coordinating district wide events.
Incumbents in the job classification have leadership, budget and office coordination responsibilities.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities (includes some or all of the following)
- Provides admissions counseling to prospective students. Coordinates with central enrollment services to facilitate consistent delivery of outreach and admissions services.
- Under the direction of management, assists in developing and implementing district-wide, campus-based, and program specific marketing and recruitment strategies. Coordinates high school and business visitation programs. Plans and coordinates campus and district events such as informational workshops, college visitations and tours, college fairs, business and industry visits, etc., to inform the public about educational opportunities available at Portland Community College. Designs and develops targeted and strategic outreach programs.
- Designs and coordinates the new student orientation program. Evaluates and makes recommendations for changes and improvements to the orientation based on established best practices. Develops curriculum and scripts for presentation and annually writes and produces New Student Orientation Handbook. Recruits presenters/facilitators and conducts train-the-trainer sessions. Oversees and facilitates the process quarterly. In collaboration with other Student Outreach and Orientation Coordinators, is responsible for content and delivery of the on-line orientation.
- Tracks statistics, gathers data, and writes reports. Monitors and reviews assigned budget accounts.
- May include providing services and referrals for specific populations during the recruitment and admissions process.
- May be assigned district-wide responsibilities associated with an area of admissions specialty, e.g. Minority and Ethnic Recruitment, Coordinator of District-Wide Events, Website Planning, Publications.
- May provide referral to new student orientation, academic advising and general program advising to incoming students as necessary.
- Assumes a lead role for events and programs on campus, including coordinating the work of others involved in these programs.
- Collaborates with PCC’s marketing department to design and implement PCC’s marketing plan.
- Serves as a primary resource between PCC and business partners.
- Serves as a liaison to high school counselors at designated schools within the PCC district.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is typically performed in an office environment with a high level of public contact, both over the phone and in person. During peak recruitment periods incumbent will typically work extended hours, including weekends. This position requires travel within the community and PCC campuses requiring the use of a personal vehicle.
Occasional light lifting of large quantities of recruiting materials and display equipment that may weigh 30-50 pounds required. During peak recruiting seasons requires long hours of standing on cement and gym floors.
Bachelor’s degree in Education or related fields. Master’s degree in same preferred. Experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year by year basis.
Demonstrated experience in academic advising, student services or counseling in an academic environment. Experience in effective supervisory/office management techniques. Experience in public speaking, educational marketing and recruitment. Experience in program coordination.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Effective management and supervisory techniques;
Academic marketing and recruitment methods;
Effective principles used in developing an academic plan;
Student success strategies and issues;
Basic admissions principles;
Building and maintaining cooperative programs and relationships with business and education partners.
Operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
Effectively plan and organize events;
Organize and effectively communicate large bodies of information to diverse groups of people and professionally represent PCC to a wide variety of constituents;
Conceptualize displays and publications;
Effectively communicate in oral and written form.