CCOG for WLD 263 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 263
- Course Title:
- Welding Technology - Capstone
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
The Welding Technology Capstone Class will allow the department to assess the knowledge and skills acquired during the student’s welding education ensuring that each student who completes the program is work ready.
Through the fabrication process students will demonstrate their technical proficiency. The projects will take place at the Welding Department under the direction of an instructor. Students will be encouraged to choose projects that fall within their area of interest, allowing them to gain relevant real world experience.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Design a project with instructor supervision.
- Demonstrate advanced fabrication techniques.
- Fabricate an instructor-approved project.
- Demonstrate job-seeking skills.
Upon completion of this course the student will obtain the knowledge and skills to be employed in the welding industry.
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open Entry and Open Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the students with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection and welding tests.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice power tool safety
- Understand and practice equipment safety for welding and oxy-fuel cutting systems
- Understand and maintain a safe work area
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
- Understand and practice fire prevention
Design and Fabricate approved Project
- Prepare fabrication drawings
- Prepare written proposals detailing the time, materials, budget and project schedule
- Deliver an oral presentation of project details to the faculty
- Determine most efficient welding process(es)
- Demonstrate welding and fabrication proficiency
Demonstrate job-seeking skills.
- Prepare a portfolio
- Interview with an employer
- Take off-site weld test