CCOG for WLD 259 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 259
- Course Title:
- Preparation for Downhill Pipe Certification II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, and lab demonstrations of technical skills. Course outcomes will include: theoretical concepts, lay out, fabrication, welding, oxy-fuel cutting and safety.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding lab.
- Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Understand and apply advanced principles of SMAW E6010 operations.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Understand and apply advanced techniques of SMAW E6010 for downhill pipe welding operations.
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with API 1104.
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open Entry and Open Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the students with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection and welding tests.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding lab.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice power tool safety
- Understand and practice equipment safety for welding and oxy-fuel cutting systems
- Understand and maintain a safe work area
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
- Understand and practice fire prevention
Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Demonstrate correct setup, operation and shutdown procedures for the automatic oxy-fuel cutting system
Understand and apply advanced principles of SMAW E6010 operations.
- Describe and demonstrate proper arc length and travel speed for advanced positions using fast freeze electrodes
- Demonstrate correct starting, stopping and restarting techniques for x-ray quality results
- Demonstrate proper bead placement utilizing both stringer bead and weave bead techniques
Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Lay out material per welding procedure specifications
- Use the automatic oxy-fuel cutting system to cut material to specified dimensions
- Assemble project per welding procedure specifications
Understand and apply advanced techniques of SMAW E6010 for downhill pipe welding operations.
- Demonstrate correct downhill welding oscillation (stringer bead and weave bead) techniques with the E6010
- Demonstrate advanced welding techniques per the welding procedure specifications:
- 5G single v-groove downhill pipe weld
- 6G single v-groove downhill pipe weld
Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with API 1104.
- Develop knowledge of API 1104 pipe welding code requirements in qualification procedures
- Use Welding Procedure Specification to set up and weld qualification coupons
- Evaluate welds using appropriate welding inspection tools
- Assess weld discontinuities causes and corrections