CCOG for WLD 257 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 257
- Course Title:
- Preparation for Pipe Certification II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videos, and lab demonstrations of technical skills. Course outcomes will include theoretical concepts, lay out, fabrication, welding and safety.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Demonstrate complete joint penetration welds with the E6010 and E7018 electrodes to code quality standards on pipe in the 5G and 6G positions.
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with ASME section IX.
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open Entry and Open Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the students with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection, and welding tests.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice power tool safety
- Practice equipment safety for welding and oxy-fuel plate and pipe cutting systems
- Understand and maintain a safe work area
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
- Understand and practice fire prevention
Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints
- Interpret lines, symbols, views and notes
- Lay out material per specifications
- Assemble project per specifications
Demonstrate complete joint penetration welds with the E6010 and E7018 electrodes to code quality standards on pipe in advanced positions (5G and 6G)
- Demonstrate correct welding techniques and complete joint penetration on pipe in the 5G and 6G positions with an E6010 root and hot pass
- Demonstrate correct welding techniques with E7018 fill and cover on pipe in the 5G and 6G positions
Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with ASME Section IX.
- Evaluate welds using appropriate welding inspection tools
- Assess weld discontinuities causes and corrections