CCOG for WLD 190B Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 190B
- Course Title:
- Basic Welding Practice
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, lab demonstrations and technical skills. Course outcomes will include theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication, welding, Oxyacetylene cutting, safety and environmental awareness, communication, computations and human relations.
Intended Outcomes for the course
•Function safely in a welding shop environment.
•Operate oxyacetylene portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
•Apply knowledge of puddle control and bead placement to produce fillet welds in all positions.
•Interpret blueprints and shop drawings to produce proper weld sizes and profiles
•Use an understanding of welding codes and industry standards in order to weld common joint configurations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, observations, written assignments, visual inspection techniques, welding tests, safe work habits, task performance and work relations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Shop.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear.
- Understand and practice hand tool and power tool safety.
- Understand and practice equipment safety for welding and oxyacetylene cutting systems.
- Understand and maintain a safe work area.
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections.
- Understand and practice fire prevention.
- Access and explain the importance of the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Operate Oxyacetylene portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Demonstrate correct setup and shutdown procedures for the hand cutting and track cutting systems.
- Perform Oxyacetylene cutting with guided practice.
Develop knowledge and skills in the selected Welding Process.
- The instructor and the student will design the course outcomes.