CCOG for WLD 132 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 132
- Course Title:
- Gas Metal Arc Welding-Pulse
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussion, videos, theoretical concepts, lab demonstrations and technical skills. Course outcomes include; theoretical concepts, lay out, fabrication, oxy-fuel cutting, and safety.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Understand and apply fundamentals of GMAW-pulse operations.
- Weld common joint assemblies with the GMAW-pulse to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code visual acceptance criteria in the following joints and positions.
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open Entry and Open Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the students with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection and welding task performance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice power tool safety
- Understand and maintain a safe work area
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
- Understand and practice fire prevention
Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Interpret lines, symbols, views and notes
- Lay out material per specifications
- Assemble project per specifications
Understand and apply fundamentals of GMAW-P Operations.
- Describe and demonstrate equipment setup, shut down, and operation
- Identify pulse transfer characteristics
- Demonstrate proper stick out and travel speed
- Demonstrate correct starting, stopping and restarting techniques
- Demonstrate proper bead placement
Weld common joint assemblies with the GMAW-P to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code visual acceptance criteria in the following joints and positions:
Flat Position: (mild steel)
- Bead plate
Horizontal Position: (mild steel and Aluminum)
- Lap Joint
Vertical Position: (mild steel and Aluminum)
- Lap Joint
- Lap Joint
Apply visual and destructive examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.
- Evaluate welds using appropriate welding inspection tools
- Assess weld discontinuities causes and corrections