CCOG for WLD 114 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 114
- Course Title:
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding: Mild Steel III (E6011)
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, computer based instruction, and lab demonstrations covering technical skills. Course outcomes will include: theoretical concepts, lay out, fabrication, welding, oxy-fuel cutting and safety.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Understand and apply fundamentals of SMAW E6011 operations.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Weld common joint assemblies with the E6011 electrode to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code.
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open Entry and Open Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the students with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, observation, written assignments, visual inspection techniques, welding tests and task performance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice power tool safety
- Understand and practice equipment safety for welding and oxy-fuel cutting systems
- Understand and maintain a safe work area
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
- Understand and practice fire prevention
Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Demonstrate correct setup, operation and shutdown procedures for oxy-fuel hand cutting
- Demonstrate correct setup, operation and shutdown procedures for oxy-fuel track cutting
Understand and apply fundamentals of SMAW E6011 operations.
- Describe and demonstrate equipment setup, shut down and operation
- Identify Electrode Characteristics
- Demonstrate proper Arc Length and Travel speed
- Demonstrate correct starting, stopping and restarting techniques
- Demonstrate proper bead placement
Interpret blueprints to accurately layout, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Interpret lines, symbols, views and notes
- Lay out material per specifications
- Use the oxy-fuel cutting process to cut material to specified dimensions
- Assemble project per specifications
Weld common joint assemblies with the E6011 electrode to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code in the following joint configurations and positions.
- Flat Position
- Bead plate
- Corner joint
- Horizontal position:
- Lap joint
- Outside corner joint
- Single V groove
- Vertical position:
Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.
- Evaluate welds using appropriate welding inspection tools
- Assess weld discontinuities causes and corrections