CCOG for SPA 202 Winter 2023
- Course Number:
- SPA 202
- Course Title:
- Second Year Spanish - Second Term
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
1. Handle a wider range of communicative tasks in selected social situations.
2. Communicate more effectively with some rephrasing and circumlocution with native speakers accustomed to dealing with non-native speakers.
3. Further develop discourse to narrate and describe in more detail and length using a variety of time frames and modes with greater accuracy.
4. Expand understanding of cultural similarities and differences within the Spanish-speaking world in relation to one’s own cultural perspective.
5. Deepen understanding of historical and cultural movements through analysis of selected works of art, literature, music, film and/or performing arts from the target culture.
6. Analyze and develop responses to selected authentic materials in the target language.
Course Activities and Design
After the introduction to the course, Spanish will be used in the classroom at all times.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be assessed by any combination of the following:
1. Active participation in class
2. Individual and group presentations
3. Contextual written tasks (in or outside of class) to assess reading, writing, cultural, and aural competencies
4. Oral interviews with partner or instructor
5. In class, interactive student role-plays
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Include all or most of the following:
1. Social and cultural activities, and sports
3. Narrating a sequence of events in the past (imperfect versus preterite)
4. Shopping for food, and ordering food in a restaurant
5. Indicating one's preferences (verbs like "gustar")
6. Describing medical, dental, and hospital care
7. Shopping for clothes: explaining one's needs: style, size, etc.
8. Compound tenses (present perfect, pluperfect)
9. Subject, object, and double object pronouns
10. Subordinate noun and adjectival clauses and the subjunctive (present, imperfect)
Competencies and Skills
1. Manages personal interactions
2. Discusses activities in future, present and past.
3. Gives recommendations and suggestions
4. Recognizes and appreciates cultural and linguistic differences in the Spanish speaking world
5. Writes paragraphs given a context and a model
6. Reads and understands a variety of texts
7. Comprehends slow native speech in a contextual setting
8. Makes herself / himself understood by a native speaker accustomed to non-native speakers