CCOG for SPA 101 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- SPA 101
- Course Title:
- First Year Spanish - First Term
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
1. Manage basic interactions, in both oral and written forms, in highly predictable settings using basic vocabulary in the present tense.
2. Develop circumlocution and inference skills, at a beginning level, when navigating a limited number of real world situations in Spanish.
3. Recognize linguistic and cultural diversity within the Spanish-speaking world and how it differs and/or relates to one’s own culture.
4. Identify selected historical and cultural movements in the target culture through exposure to literature, art, music, film and/or performing arts in the target language.
5. Acquire strategies for analyzing authentic materials in the target language.
Course Activities and Design
After the introduction to the course, Spanish will be used in the classroom at all times.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be assessed by any combination of the following:
1. Active participation in class
2. Individual presentations
3. Contextual written tasks (in or outside of class) to assess reading,
writing, cultural, and aural competencies
4. Oral interviews with partner or instructor
5. In class, interactive student role-plays
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Include all or most of the following:
1. Greetings, introductions, leave-takings and courtesy expressions
2. Introduction to nouns, articles and grammatical gender
3. Cardinal numbers
4. Telling time
5. Classroom vocabulary and fields of study
6. Days of the week
7. Hispanic last names
8. Present tense of regular verbs
9. Present tense of the verbs Ser and Estar
10. Family members
11. Descriptive adjectives
12. Expressing possession
11. Present tense of the verbs Tener and Venir
15. Describing states of being (expressions with tener)
16. Present tense of the verb Ir
17. The use of ir + a + infinitive to express the future
18. Pastimes, sports and places in a city
Competencies and Skills
1. Manages introductions, leave taking, and exchanges basic personal
information in a culturally appropriate manner.
2. Describes self and others: personality, physical attributes, and emotions.
3. Describes weather and states date and time.
4. Makes statements about daily activities, and likes and dislikes.
5. Describes plans for future activities.
6. Recognizes basic cultural and linguistic differences in the Spanish-
7. Formulates simple questions and answers.
8. Identifies and names people and objects.
9. Writes lists and discrete sentences.
10. Reads and understands the main ideas in texts using abundant cognates.