CCOG for PL 210 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- PL 210
- Course Title:
- Legal Protection for Vulnerable People
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
An elective satisfying the requirements of either a Paralegal Certificate or Associate of Applied Science degree.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify, select and apply a variety of tools to address identified legal issues of vulnerable clients.
- Draft Abuse Petitions.
- Draft Guardianship or Conservator Petitions.
- Draft trust documents.
- Draft relevant insurance, tax, or estate planning documents.
Course Activities and Design
Flexible dependent on needs of student population and preferred teaching style of instructor, but may include reading assignments; videos; lectures; guest speakers; small group projects and discussions; objective assessments; and preparation of memoranda, legal document, or correspondence.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment strategies may include: written assignments; small group projects; preparation of legal analysis memoranda; and other projects.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Recognize ethical, practical and legal issues as they arise in a practice aimed at assisting vulnerable populations.
- Analyze law (statutes and cases) to determine areas or issues needing to be addressed in a given fact pattern.
- Analyze a fact pattern to assist the attorney in application of law and development of resolution.
- Draft relevant documents.