CCOG for PL 100 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- PL 100
- Course Title:
- Professions in the Law
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Students will learn the academic requirements, lifestyle considerations, training and regulatory requirements within the legal profession. During the course, students will prepare a personal education and career plan based on their personal goals informed by the materials presented in the class and independent research.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Describe and distinguish the titles, roles, and regulatory requirements for a variety of legal professions.
- Assess career opportunities of interest and determine the education, training, and personal traits necessary for success.
- Identify and explain personalized education and career goals.
- Prepare a personalized education and career plan, and compose professional application materials appropriate to personal goals.
Course Activities and Design
Flexible dependent on needs of student population and preferred teaching style of instructor, but may include reading assignments; videos; lectures; guest speakers; interactive assessments of personality, values, and aptitudes; small group discussions; independent research; planning activities; development of application materials; peer and instructor review of and feedback on materials.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Methods of assessment will include at least some of the following: tests, written and experiential assignments, research reports, and preparation of a personal career plan and supporting materials.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts & Issues
The professional roles & responsibilities, education and experience requirements, and regulatory requirements for a variety of professionals involved in the U.S. legal system including: judges and court personnel, attorneys, paralegals, legal assistants, administrative assistants, and vendors of services to law firms.
The relationships between legal professionals and lifestyle considerations related to choosing a legal profession.
Career values, interests, and expectations.
Skills and abilities, personality traits, barriers, and diversity and social justice issues.
Resources for further development of education and career information.
Competencies & Skills
- Increase self awareness through reflection as it relates to values, interests, skills and personality.
- Research education and career information.
- Assess readiness for career of choice.
- Use critical thinking skills to effectively analyze and synthesize career information to develop a personalized educational and career plan.
Choice of texts is at the discretion of each course instructor.