CCOG for PE 282B Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 282B
- Course Title:
- Professional Activities: Older Adult Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Explores fitness instruction and leadership for older adult populations. Provides tools and information needed to design fitness training programs for healthy older individuals and groups. Explores the wide range of abilities and needs in individuals within older population groups and provides appropriate exercise program modifications when necessary through observation, participation, and community-based learning activities. Prerequisites: FT 202. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Explore employment opportunities for fitness instruction in healthy older adult populations.
- Apply knowledge of older adult fitness assessment and program design when working with older clients.
- Implement quality and appropriate teaching methods when instructing fitness activities for healthy older adults.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Older adult fitness class observations
- Older adult fitness video analysis
- Senior fitness testing and programming project
- Lesson plan and teaching demonstration
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Motivation and exercise adherence strategies for older adults
- Safety for individuals, equipment, and facilities when leading fitness programs for older adults
- Pre-exercise screening tools and fitness assessment for older adults
- Fitness programs, classes, and instruction methods for older adults
- Fitness prescriptions for older adults in each of the areas of fitness
- Exercise modifications, as needed, for individual or facility considerations
- Additional wellness issues for older adults (housing, nutrition, recreation, etc.)
- Certifications and employment for older adult fitness instructors and trainers