CCOG for PE 191A Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 191A
- Course Title:
- Training for Strength & Power
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Classes will be conducted in a group environment for lectures and warm-up. Workouts will be conducted in pairs or small groups. Students will learn the correct and safe progression for the three power lifts, two olympic lifts and skill transfer exercises. Each student will progress at a rate commensurate with their ability. Pre and post testing will be conducted for muscular strength and power. Proper weight lifting shoes are not required, but highly recommended.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Utilize correct terminology, techniques, and skills for power and Olympic lifts in a gym setting.
- Design a weight lifting program incorporating power and Olympic lifts.
- Evaluate skills related to muscular fitness including power, strength, speed, and mobility.
- Apply proper progressions for power and Olympic lifts.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Workout Logs
- Written Exams
- Personal programs
- Pre and Post testing
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Safe and effective warm up and cool down techniques
- Adaptations to strength and power training
- Proper use and care of equipment
- Major and minor muscle groups and their functions
- Program design for strength and power
- Mobility training for strength and power
- Assessment techniques for strength and power
- Nutrition strategies for strength and power
- Practice safe and effective warm-up and cool down activities
- Demonstrate safe and effective use of the equipment
- Identify skeletal muscles and their functions
- Design individualized programs that match goals and abilities
- Identify adaptations to resistance training
- Demonstrate knowledge of nutrition as applied to resistance training