CCOG for PE 184N Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 184N
- Course Title:
- Physical Activity for Weight Control II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Continues as an independent and progressive activity program for overweight and/or older students who have taken PE 182W. Covers concepts, activities, and programming that promote weight control through physical activity. Prerequisites: PE 182W. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Maintain improved physical and cardiovascular conditioning to help obtain/maintain healthy body composition using the FITT Principles (Frequency, Intensity, Time and Type of Exercise.)
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health and wellness program.
- Continue to recognize triggers and introduce stress reducing skills to help with relapse prevention.
- Learn to use online log to track nutrition.
Course Activities and Design
- Apply present physical condition to appropriate physical activity levels.
- Apply stress reduction techniques, eating strategies and time management to avoid relapse.
- Maintain physical activity log and food journal.
- Fitness testing for cardiovascular endurance and body composition.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/Post physical activity and body composition testing.
- Individual fitness participation.
- Personal physical activity log and journal.
- Participation in discussion assignments.
- Assignments and quiz over course requirements and syllabus.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Calories expenditure/balance
- Identification of events that cause relapse.
- Plan for relapse or plateau
- Relaxation techniques
- Stress reduction
- Eating strategies.
- Balanced exercise program
- Target heart rate
- Appreciation of Benefits of lifelong activity and healthy eating