CCOG for PE 183Z Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 183Z
- Course Title:
- Tae Kwon Do III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Improve overall physical conditioning through participation in Tae Kwon Do, including but not limited to improvements in cardio-respiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility/range of motion.
- Perform safe and effective self defense skills, falls, throws and sparring techniques.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
• Learned new forms and self-defense skills
• Improvement on basic and previously learned skills
• Application of prior skills/techniques
• Participate in, and contribute to, class discussions and activities
• Skill assessment through demonstration.
• Practical exams.
• Open to learn new concepts
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Warm-ups and cool-downs
• Conditioning, stretching, and endurance development
• Body mechanics and alignment development
• Discuss differences between Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Karate, Aikido, Boxing, etc.
• History and traditions of Tae Kwon Do
• Differences between traditional Tae Kwon Do and Olympic Tae Kwon Do
• Ki Bon (basics) blocks, kicks, punches, and combinations
• Poomse (forms) long sets of prearranged movements in Tae Kwon Do
• Dare Ee On - choreographed 3-step fighting techniques
• Tumbling and controlled falling
• Combination punching
• Safety concerns
• Blocking and evading an attacker
• Practice warm-ups, cool-downs
• Select appropriate conditioning, stretching, and endurance exercises
• Demonstrate correct body mechanics and alignment
• Interpret differences between various techniques of the martial arts
• Demonstrate Ki Bon
• Demonstrate Poomse
• Demonstrate Dare Ee On
• Utilize correct tumbling and fall techniques
• Demonstrate correct and effective punching, blocking, and evading