CCOG for PE 182H Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 182H
- Course Title:
- Individual Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces the development of fitness and wellness goal-setting and overall fitness programming. Explores fitness principles for safety, exercise selection, and performing physical activities. Incorporates self-reflection, exercise log journaling, group discussion, and evaluation of personal fitness. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the class students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of fitness and wellness principles when selecting exercises, setting fitness goals, and participating in regular physical activities.
- Perform regular cardiorespiratory, muscle fitness, and flexibility exercise sessions.
- Design a fitness program around personal fitness and wellness goals.
- Reflect upon experiences and customize a fitness program to ensure safe and effective exercise programming.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre-testing and post-testing of physical fitness
- Written discussion posts reflecting on fitness/wellness principles and personal fitness progressions throughout the term
- Journaling and exercise log documentation of activities, exercises, intensity, and safety progressions
- Assignments which demonstrate skill development and reflections (topics: intensity monitoring, goal-setting, and personal fitness program)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Pre-exercise health considerations, warm-ups, cool-downs, exercise safety
- Fitness assessment (beginning of term and end of term) and analysis of fitness changes
- Components of physical fitness (cardio, muscle endurance, muscle strength, flexibility, body composition)
- Health and wellness benefits of activity and exercise
- Exercise intensity monitoring via heart rate, perceived exertion, and talk test
- Health, fitness, and wellness goal-setting (short and long-term)
- Health, fitness, and wellness behavior change
- Personal fitness and wellness program design