CCOG for PE 182D Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 182D
- Course Title:
- Walking for Fitness II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces a self-paced walking program as a lifelong fitness activity that maintains and enhances physical fitness and well-being at an intermediate level. Focuses on safe and effective ways to increase walking frequency, duration, and intensity. Provides information and tools needed to understand, organize, plan and implement a progressive physical fitness program that features walking as the primary activity. Recommended: PE 182C, or average fitness level. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Student provides appropriate sport clothing activity. Sport shoes designed walking are required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply the components of an effective physical fitness program, including frequency, intensity, and duration, utilizing walking as the primary activity.
- Improve physical conditioning by participating in a regular walking program at an intermediate-level.
- Perform various fitness walking techniques to further enhance overall cardiovascular fitness, muscular endurance, posture, and flexibility.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs/participation
- Personal program records
- Written assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Warm-ups, cool-downs
- Target heart rate zone training
- Perceived rate of exertion technique
- Pace/speed setting for walking
- Components of fitness
- Appreciation and benefits of lifelong fitness
- Safety concepts
- Practice warm-ups, cool-downs
- Utilize appropriate routines for intermediate fitness levels
- Demonstrate correct exercises for individual program
- Apply components of fitness to intermediate levels
- Apply present physical condition to appropriate walking levels
- Alter exercise choices for special weather and physical conditions
- Understand muscle charts in selecting appropriate /walking fitness exercises