CCOG for PE 182A Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 182A
- Course Title:
- Beginning Group Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be loose and comfortable fitting for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for aerobic exercise. Class format includes warm-up, a cardiovascular segment, muscular endurance and strength exercise, flexibility, and cooldown.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Improve overall physical conditioning while participating in group fitness activities.
- Safely perform exercises in a group fitness environment.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program that incorporates group fitness.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs
- Active Participation
- Deomonstrations of proficiency
- Personal program records/portfolios
- Written assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice safe and effective warm-ups and cool-downs
- Intensity monitoring via target heart rate, Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE), and talk test methods
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for lifelong fitness
- Principles of exercise training
- Safety concepts for group fitness exercises (exercises, environment, equipment, progression)
- Personal fitness assessment
- Goal-setting for fitness
- Personal fitness program design
- Modify exercises and activities for varying physical conditions and individual fitness level