CCOG for PE 181C Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 181C
- Course Title:
- Advanced Weight Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Classes will be conducted in a large group situation for lectures, warm up, cool down, and core training. Students are responsible for creating individualized programs to meet their specific abilities and goals. Each student will progress at a rate commensurate with their abilities. Pre and post assessment will be conducted for flexibility, body composition, muscular strength, and muscular endurance.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Improve physical conditioning specifically related to muscular strength and endurance through weight training at an advanced level.
- Design a muscular strength and endurance plan.
- Apply advanced weight training principles and techniques to exercise routines.
- Evaluate one's fitness levels relating to muscular strength, endurance, and power.
- Demonstrate proper Olympic weight lifting techniques
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Records and portfolios
- Written Exams
- Personal programs
- Pre and Post testing
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Warm-up, stretching, cool down
- Adaptations to weight training
- Proper use and care of equipment
- Major and minor muscle groups and their functions
- Program design
- Safe and effective warm up and cool down techniques
- Continued commitment to strength training
- Assessment techniques
- Machine and free weight training
- Practice safe and effective warm-up and cool down activities
- Demonstrate safe and effective use of the equipment
- Identify skeletal muscles and their functions
- Design individualized programs that match goals and abilities
- Identify adaptations to resistance training
- Demonstrate knowledge of nutrition as applied to resistance training