CCOG for PE 181B Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 181B
- Course Title:
- Intermediate Weight Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Classes will be conducted in a large group situation for lectures and warm-up. Workouts will be conducted alone or in pairs. The course will be taught using a variety of exercise resistance equipment. With the guidance of the instructor, students will evaluate types of muscular strength and endurance training and implement a weight training program for personal needs. Each student will progress at a rate commensurate with his or her abilities. Pre and post testing will be conducted for muscular strength and endurance.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the class students should be able to:
- Continue to improve physical conditioning specifically related to muscular strength and endurance through weight training.
- Design a muscular strength and endurance plan.
- Apply intermediate weight training principles and techniques to exercise routines throughout life.
- Evaluate one's fitness levels relating to muscular strength and endurance at an intermediate level.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Records and portfolios
- Written exams
- Personal programs
- Pre and post testing.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Principles of conditioning
- Components of fitness
- Intermediate weight lifting techniques and progressions
- Care and use of equipment
- Benefits of weight training
- Myths and attitudes about weight training
- Appreciation of the role of strength training in lifelong fitness
- Practice warm-up and cool-down activities
- Operate weight room equipment safely using proper technique
- Choose proper machine or free weight adjustments in relation to skeletal structure
- Select appropriate exercises to meet personal goals