CCOG for PE 181A Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 181A
- Course Title:
- Beginning Weight Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Classes will be conducted in a large group situation for lectures and warm-up. Workouts will be conducted alone or in pairs. Students will learn the correct and safe use of a variety of exercise resistance equipment. Each student will progress at a rate commensurate with his or her abilities. Pre and post testing will be conducted for muscular strength and endurance.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the class students should be able to:
- Improve physical conditioning specifically related to muscular strength and endurance through weight training.
- Design a future muscular strength and endurance plan.
- Apply weight training principles and techniques to exercise routines throughout life.
- Evaluate one's fitness levels relating to muscular strength and endurance.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Records and portfolios
- Written exams
- Personal programs
- Pre and post testing.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Principles of conditioning
- Components of fitness
- Beginning weight lifting techniques and progressions
- Care and use of equipment
- Benefits of weight training
- Myths and attitudes about weight training
- Appreciaiton of the role of strength training in lifelong fitness
- Practice warm-up and cool-down activities
- Operate weight room equipment safely using proper technique
- Choose proper machine or free weignt adjustments in relation to skeletal structure
- Select appropriate exercises to meet personal goals