CCOG for PE 180M Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 180M
- Course Title:
- Swim Conditioning II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Each student may wish to purchase swim goggles, which are recommended, but not required. Swimsuits are required and must be in good condition and clean, no cut-offs. Swim caps are optional. Hair is not permitted to hang in the face. Towels, lockers, and locks are provided to each student based upon them checking one out.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Improve general and swimming fitness levels for maintaining lifelong health and fitness.
- Develop and apply proper swimming skills and techniques for lifelong enjoyment of swimming.
- Incorporate the back crawl, breast stroke, and butterfly into swim conditioning workouts.
- Apply knowledge and respect for universal water safety and rules around the pool environment.
Course Activities and Design
- Assess intensity using target heart rate and rating of perceived exertion.
- Perform various training methods including interval, fartlek, long
- slow-distance,and continuous.
- Demonstrate proper warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises for swimming.
- Demonstrate proper use of equipment including fins, paddles, pull buoys, kickboards.
- Perform skill drills and games including 2 pool swims, finger drag, vertical flutter kicking, presso your buoy, catch-up stroke, swimming golf, water polo, relay races, diving, and timed swims.o Interact and share swimming knowledge in a group setting.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Beginning, midterm, and end of term fitness assessments.
- Observation, evaluation, and feedback
- Class participation and attendance
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Safety aspects of aquatics
- Swimming training methods? Hydrodynamic principles
- Skill/fitness development and improvement
- Lap swimming etiquette? Opportunities for community/competitive swimming
- Creating a positive environment for enjoying swimming training
- Benefits of a physically active lifestyle
- Workout variations ( incorporating the breast stroke, back crawl, butterfly into workouts).