CCOG for PE 162O Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 162O
- Course Title:
- Core Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be loose and comfortable fitting for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for aerobic/cardiorespiratory exercise. General class format includes a warm-up, a cardiorespiratory conditioning segment, muscular endurance and strength exercises, stretches for flexibility and relaxation, and a cool-down.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Maintain improvements in overall physical conditioning through participation in core fitness exercises, including but not limited to, improvements attained in cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility.
- Perform safe and effective core fitness exercises in group or non-group settings.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program that incorporates core fitness exercises.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs
- Active Participation
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice safe and effective warm-ups and cool-downs
- Intensity monitoring via target heart rate, Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE), and talk test methods
- Learning to identify the core muscles and how they support the body in movement
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for lifelong fitness
- Principles of exercise training
- Safety concepts for Core Fitness exercises (exercises, environment, equipment, progression)
- Personal fitness assessment
- Goal-setting for fitness
- personal fitness progrm design
- Modify exercises and activities for varyiny physical conditions and individual fitness level