CCOG for PE 162J Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 162J
- Course Title:
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Provides opportunities to improve fitness, health and overall wellness through Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). Covers basic BJJ knowledge and skills (such as movements, positions, and concepts) in a progressive skill building approach. Emphasizes proper technique, mobility, pressure and leverage awareness. Establishes a foundational knowledge of BJJ, including utilization of ground techniques for self defense. Introduces both Gi and non-Gi techniques. Students will be required to obtain a Gi by the 3rd week of class. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Improve overall physical conditioning through participation in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, including but not limited to, improvements in cardio-respiratory fitness, muscular fitness, and flexibility.
- Perform safe and effective BJJ self defense skills and techniques.
- Apply learned skills, techniques, and knowledge in belt rank advancement tests.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program that incorporates BJJ skills and techniques.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Course Activities and Design
- Basic form - movements
- Self defense skills
- Balance and focus drills
- Sport etiquette/rules
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance and Participation
- Practical Exams
- Skill Assessment (via demonstration)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Learn and practice proper warm-ups and cool-downs
- Basic sparring movements, including defensive and offensive movements
- Body awareness, mechanics and alignment