CCOG for PE 143A Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 143A
- Course Title:
- Aquatic Exercise I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Includes aerobic exercise, strength conditioning, and stretching movements set to music, in an aquatics environment. Incorporates exercise in both shallow and deep water in order to take advantage of the natural buoyancy and resistance properties of water. Swimming skills are not required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Course includes water exercises, water aerobics, and water games designed to improve fitness levels. Students provide swim suits.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Utilize aquatic exercise skills to improve lifetime physical conditioning.
- Develop individual aquatic workouts for maintaining lifelong health and fitness.
- Apply the value and benefits of exercising in the aquatics environment.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Safe and effective warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises.
- Safe and effective use of equipment
- Monitor heart rate as a means of controlling and assessing exercise intensity
- Ratings of perceived exertion scale
- Safe and effective aquatic exercise routines
- Strengthening of major and minor muscle groups
- Cardiovascular fitness •Resistance properties of water
- Practice safe and effective warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises
- Demonstrate safe and effective use of the equipment
- Correctly utilize heart rate as a means of controlling and assessing exercise intensity
- Utilize the Ratings of Perceived Exertion scale to assess and prescribe exercise intensity
- Perform safe and effective aquatic exercise routines
- Develop and improve strength in the major and minor muscle groups
- Identify the benefits and adaptations of cardiovascular exercise
- Apply the resistance properties of water to perform and develop aquatic exercise routines