CCOG for PE 142F Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 142F
- Course Title:
- Cross Country Running II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Further develops training at an intermediate/advanced level for various race distances including 5K, 8K, 10K, 15K, half marathon (13.1 miles) and marathon (26.2 miles). Also introduces different long distance training methods for more than marathon distance and/or different terrains. Recommended: PE 142E or previous experience.
Addendum to Course Description
Students must provide their own workout attire.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this class students should be able to:
- Continue to apply the components of an effective cross country training program in order to participate either recreationally or competitively.
- Continue to develop proper mechanics for safe and effective cross country running.
- Further develop a variety of training programs to enhance speed, prevent overuse injury and increase ability to run on various terrains including hills, trails and pavement.
- Develop knowledge of training needed to run longer distances on different terrain.
- Develop a post-season strength and conditioning program.
Course Activities and Design
Development of the fundamental skills to train in cross country running
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance and participation
- Running with proper technique and form
- Running with a group
- Individual workouts
- Understand workout concepts
- Time development as a runner
- Cool down and stretch
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Warm Up
- Dynamic stretching
- Running drills
- Tempo run
- Cool down
- Static stretching
- Off campus runs on off school days