CCOG for PE 142E Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- PE 142E
- Course Title:
- Cross Country Running I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces running and training concepts for various race distances on both paved and uneven terrain at the beginning level. Provides fundamental training information needed to compete recreationally or competitively. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Students must provide their own workout attire and shoes
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this class students should be able to:
- Apply the components of an effective cross country training program in order to participate either recreationally or competitively.
- Develop the proper mechanics for safe and effective cross country running.
- Perform a variety of training programs to enhance speed, prevent overuse injury and increase ability to run on various terrains including hills, trails and pavement.
- Recognize the fitness benefits of cross country running as a lifelong sport or activity.
Course Activities and Design
Development of the fundamental skills to train in cross country running
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance and participation
- Running with proper technique and form
- Running with a group
- Individual workouts
- Understand workout concepts
- Time development as a runner
- Cool down and stretch
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Dynamic stretching
- Running drills
- Tempo run
- Cool down
- Static stretching
- Off campus runs on off school days