CCOG for PE 140C Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 140C
- Course Title:
- Boxing III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Expands knowledge, applications, skills and techniques used in Boxing II. Focuses on striking techniques, proper mitt work, defensive strategies and introduces mixed martial arts concepts of kicking and mat work. Required: boxing gloves or MMA gloves and hand wraps. Recommended: Boxing I and Boxing II or prior boxing knowledge and technique. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
More application of Mixed Martial Arts concepts utilized in this course including, kicking, defense and basic grappling.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a further understanding of boxing as a sport and as a method of developing physical fitness.
- Apply fundamental rules of engagement, strategies, and tactics of the sport.
- Use proper striking techniques and footwork.
- Apply proper technique regarding the use of focus mitts.
- Continue development of life-long fitness, health and wellness by incorporating boxing as a part of regular movement activity.
Course Activities and Design
- Continued improvement of overall physical conditioning through Boxing participation
- Perform safe and effective Boxing techniques
- Perform safe and effective defensive techniques
- Develop lifelong fitness and health
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/Post fitness testing
- Individual fitness Programs
- Active participation
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Written assignments and or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice safe and effective warm-ups and cool downs
- Intensity monitoring via target heart rate, Rate of Perceived exertion (RPE) and talk test method
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for life long fitness
- Principles of exercise training
- Personal fitness assessment
- Modification of exercises and activities for varying physical conditions and individual fitnss levels
- Body mechanics-proper body alignment