CCOG for MUS 158F Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MUS 158F
- Course Title:
- Chamber Ensemble
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use an understanding of advanced-level musicianship and performance etiquette to publicly perform advanced repertory as a member of an instrumental ensemble.
- Use an understanding of advanced-level music literacy to individually prepare and rehearse advanced repertory as a member of an instrumental ensemble.
- Use an understanding of advanced rehearsal techniques and etiquette to follow a conductor, annotate music, and be a contributing member of an instrumental ensemble during rehearsal.
- Use an understanding of stylistic differences in advanced repertory to appropriately interpret instrumental music in performance.
- Use a basic understanding of their primary instrument to continue to improve as a performer of music.
Course Activities and Design
- Learn individual parts outside of class. Instructor will assign repertoire and coach regular rehearsals. Coaching will include stylistic interpretation, assistance with individual parts and instruction in proper performance etiquette.
- Prepare musical work(s) from printed score for performance.
- Accurately interpret distinctive musical styles.
- Perform musical work(s) in a public recital.
- Work with other musicians to prepare musical works.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Methods used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course letter gradeshould be made clear by the instructor at the beginning of the course. The individual instructor willdetermine the method of assessment. Assessment methods may include:Rehearsal attendanceMusical interpretationPublic recitalSuccessful knowledge and execution of individual part(s)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Instrumental repertoire from the renaissance to the modern era
- Stylistic concerns in musical interpretation
- Performance etiquette