CCOG for MUC 287 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 287
- Course Title:
- Game Audio: Implementation
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces the game audio implementation pipeline and the role of the Technical Sound Designer. Covers how sound for games is taken from asset production in a Digital Audio Workspace (DAW) to implementation into a game to prepare for shipping. Includes fundamental techniques in the sound tools in both engines as well as the audio middleware tools such as FMOD and Wwise. Introduces basic scripting in C# for Unity and Blueprint for Unreal in order to realize implementation goals. Recommended: knowledge of a DAW, basic audio recording and production. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Work as a technical sound designer on an independent game project or work as an associate technical sound designer under a lead on larger projects.
- Perform basic to intermediate scripting in C# and Blueprint utilizing the Unity and Unreal game engines.
- Take sound effects and music assets and implement them into FMOD and Wwise.
- Script interactivity into audio based on player input or data output from game systems.
- Design and mix sound for a 360-degree sound environment utilizing standard stereo tools, binaural, and head-related transfer function (HRTF) based systems.
- Implement and test interactive music structures provided by a composer.
- Use procedural and generative techniques to create sound that is data driven.
- Develop the sound of a game from asset production through to shipping.
- Mix and test the soundscape of a video game.
- Use version control software, such as Github, to version and share work.
Course Activities and Design
- Implementation of sound effects and music into publicly available game demos.
- Twice-weekly scripting exercises.
- Workshops on version control focusing on Github.
- Workshops of FMOD, Wwise, Unity, and Unreal.
- Instructor-led demonstrations on sound implementation.
- Evaluation of styles and techniques used in modern game sound implementation.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Grades will be determined by measuring student competency in the related subject matter. Methods used to determine competency may include:
- Practical examinations
- Quantitative or qualitative examinations
- Individual projects
- Peer reviews and evaluations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Foundation and history of game sound implementation.
- Analysis of various sound implementation workflows.
- Critical listening and deconstruction of sound mixes in games.
- Implementing interactive sound and music.
- Scripting in C# and visual scripting with Blueprint.
- Unity Engine.
- Unreal Engine.
- Version Control.
- Interactive sound mixing.