CCOG for MUC 277 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 277
- Course Title:
- Microcontrollers II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Provides intermediate-level experience with electronics, sensor hardware, and programming microcontrollers for applications in the arts and creative industries. Introduces user interface design concepts and physical fabrication techniques for artistic and commercial purposes. Prerequisites: MUC 274. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Program gestural and data-driven control for multimedia experience design utilizing intermediate-level knowledge of Arduinos or similar microcontrollers.
- Apply knowledge of electronics to fabricate custom circuits for use in long-term projects.
- Design and fabricate physical housings for custom electronics.
- Design and lay out a printed circuit board for custom electronics.
- Demonstrate intermediate-level skills in programming microcontrollers.
- Take a project beyond the prototype phase to produce a finished project.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- In and out-of-class projects reviewed and evaluated by the instructor
- Instructor observations of student demonstrations of hands-on proficiency
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Continuation of experience with basic textual programming
- The Arduino environment and hardware
- Rapid Prototyping (3d printing, laser cutting)
- CAD for Printed Circuit Boards (introduction to layout software and factory/production pipelines)
- Physical interface design